10-Point Guitar Inspection
We put your new instrument through the demanding
10-point inspection below:
- Fit & Finish. We visually check your instrument for any scratches, dings, finish flaws or other aesthetic imperfections. We also pay attention to the neck, bridge, tuners and any other part of the guitar that could be a loose or incorrect fit.
- Action. The Martin guitar company & Saga Music (Blueridge guitars) ship their guitars with a target action of 3/32" at the Bass E, 12th fret. We've seen Martins & Blueridge guitars arrive as low as 5/64" and as high as 4/32". Everyone is different. If you desire something lower or higher to better suit your personal playing style, choose our Custom Setup and we will adjust it for you. Other stores claim they ship all their Martins & Blueridge guitars with the perfect setup. There is no such thing as one perfect setup... it depends on what you want the guitar to feel like. Maury also checks to make sure the action at the nut is within Martin & Saga's specs. If you're unsure where your action should be set Maury will be happy to help you figure it out.
- Buzzes. Nothing drives me nuts more than a buzz. If there's a loose tuner bushing, rattling truss rod or any other similar symptom, we'll find it & fix it.
- Neck & Frets. We inspect the neck angle so that your guitar has the appropriate amount of saddle height and a good break angle. If there are any loose or high frets, Maury will address this problem too.
- Relief. Along with the action, neck relief can really make a difference in a guitar's playability. Too little and you can get fret buzz & poor volume. Too much, and your guitar can be uncomfortable, especially in the middle of the neck.
- Intonation. Your new guitar should play in tune all the way up the neck. We inspect and adjust the intonation to ensure that you don't have any tuning problems higher up, with and without a capo.
- Electronics. If your guitar comes with a pickup system (either from the factory or aftermarket) we will test it before it ships. Poor sound, uneven string balance, and just plain component failure is all checked & corrected so you don't have to fool around with it. If your guitar's system requires a battery inside the guitar, we may remove it prior to shipping.
- Strings. We guarantee your guitar will ship with a fresh set of the factory recommended strings on it.
- Case integrity. Every once in a while we might find a guitar case with a bad latch or other imperfection. It's our job to correct or replace the bad case.
- Test drive! After we complete the above tasks, it's our duty to play your guitar. There's just no substitute ... your guitar must be played to ensure that everything is in tip-top shape.